Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Guest Post: What's on My Bookshelf? Hug by Jez Alborough (Tima- Living in Dar)

Shonda over at Milk N' Honey Learn and Grow asked if I'd contribute and talk about a book.  I'm so honoured.





Ethan's cousins gave him the book Hug by Jez Alborough for Christmas a couple of years ago.  At first glance, I wasn't sure about it.  It's a lovely picture book with exactly 3 words: hug, Bobo and Mommy.  Ethan was 2.5 at the time, and loved books.  Could he really enjoy a simple picture book?

Well, I was wrong.  There is nothing simple about this book.  It's a wonderful book for children of all ages.  On the days when it was the 1st book Ethan wanted me to read, we could picture read in detail.  A wonderful story would unfold about a Chimpanzee searching for his mother, seeing mommies and babies everywhere entwined in hugs.  And on the days when this was book number 20, we looked at pictures and read the three words.

The art work is cute, but the simplicity of the eternal story of the child/parent bond is what makes this story shine.  It's one of those books that depends on the reader to help it come alive.

The best part of the book is, now that Ethan is 4, I can get him to read it to me.  He can tell the story.  It's great to see how his imagination comes through with the assistance of some wonderful illustrations.

Hug










**Thank you to Tima from Living in Dar for sharing such an amazing book.  I have to say, my son at 8 months was enthralled with the concept of the child/parent bond.  His giggle when Bobo sees Mommy is priceless!  A definite must have!!

Tima is a teacher and the mother of Ethan and lives with her family in Tanzania

No comments: