Thursday, September 30, 2010

Toddler Talk Thursday: Discipline



This week is about Discipline! Well, there are so many different ways to discipline a toddler, but they are not yet old enough (ages 3 and up) to understand the reasoning behind why you want them to not do something. My son is 22 months and he has started throwing things when he's happy and when's he's mad. We tell him if he throws his toys we take them away and if he continues, we put him in a 1 minute time out. As far as anything else, we take it as it comes. I have read a book recently that was highly helpful and I even wrote a series of POSTS about each chapter for Love and Logic Magic for Early Childhood: Practical Parenting from Birth to Six Years.  Right now we are taking a class called Growing Kids God's Way which is teaching us the foundational principles for training.  I am currently writing a weekly post of what I am learning.  It is not too young to teach your child with discipline.

We started by setting boundaries and being positive.  We used words like "hands off" instead of "don't touch."  We set the standard and expect our child to follow that standard.  Boundaries help a child feel secure.  I know that from many years of teaching Kindergarten.

I'm looking forward to reading what others of you are doing regarding discipline.  :)

2 comments:

4stemmes said...

I like the "Hands Off" rather than "Don't Touch". Might have to give that one a try!

Following from Toddler Talk Thursday and would love if you would stop by my blog:

www.manysleeplessnights.wordpress.com

KC Baldwin said...

I look forward to reading about what you've learned in your class. :-)