Thursday, August 25, 2011

Summer Worship Series- Essential Role of the Family

This was actually supposed to be my first post in my Summer Worship Series, but it's last!  Oh, well.


Recently our church hosted a Visionary Parenting conference with Rob Rienow.  Unfortunately, I was not able to attend as it was right before I had Jessna.  However, he was the speaker at the service that weekend and I was completely intrigued by his thoughts.  His main point was that the essential role of the family is for world evangelism.  Read on.

Between 1946 and 1994, the percentage of Americans who claim to be Christians and can articulate the basic gospel message went from 65% to 4%.  Yikes!  

*God created families to be discipleship centers.
*The biblical purpose of parenting and grandparenting is to impress the hearts of children with a love for God.
*God created the family as a vital engine of world evangelization through the power of multi-generational faithfulness.

Basically, the family is the place where children will come to know Jesus as their personal savior.  Wow!

So what are you doing in your family to lead your children to Christ?  I hope that what I've shared this summer in my series has given you some resources to use in your home with your kids.  I feel so excited and privileged to be the one to teach my child about the God I love.

As I worked through the book The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children this summer with my Good Morning Girls Bible study I realized that I need to be intentional in teaching my kids.  So I have recently  started a little devotional with my 2 year old and 3 month old.  After Jessna's 9:30 am feeding we read a Bible story together (all three of us) on the couch and sometimes I remember a song that goes with it.  Then we sing our verse for the month from Songs for Saplings.  And last of all I added praying a virtue for my children with my children.  I feel so blessed that I can do this!

What about you?  I'd like to know what you do in your family!  Thanks for joining me this summer.  I look forward to your comments.  I have many more ideas, but I'll wait until next year!

Rob Rienow can be found at www.VisionaryFam.com.

1 comment:

Annette W. said...

I focus on one verse for a long time...too long...but hang it on my pantry door by the kitchen table.

We talk about God, life, sin throughout the day...

And read Bible at night before bed.