Monday, January 23, 2012

Color Theme Week for January: BLUE (plus recipe!)

Every month I will choose a different color that we will focus on with fun activities for the week. This week I chose BLUE!  I chose some fine motor, crafts, tasting, color recognition and music.  Some of my ideas came from one of my new favorite blogs- Teach Your Tot.  Corey has so many fun theme ideas!  I also used ideas from Totline 123 Colors : Color Day Activities for Young Children (1-2-3 Series: Ages 3-6) by Jean Warren.

Making "blueberry" pies.  I punched out blue foam.


Yep, $15!  Shrade came up with that number.

Drinking blueberry milk!
Blue pictures from magazines. Shrade did all the gluing himself.



Find BLUE things- his favorite activity!

Mmm, blueberry muffins!


This recipe for Blueberry Muffins is adapted from Totline 123 Colors : Color Day Activities for Young Children (1-2-3 Series: Ages 3-6):

1 cup white flour
1/4 c. graham cracker flour
1/2 cup wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
1/2 cup applesauce (we used pearsauce)
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup milk
1 sliced banana
1 cup blueberries (ours were frozen)

Stir together.  Grease baking pan.  Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  Makes 12 muffins.
These were pretty good and had NO sugar!

I am so thankful that my husband picked all those blueberries for us this summer.  We have several blueberry bushes in our yard and also a community Blueberry Park which is free.  I will definitely be storing lots of blueberries for the winter!  Did you see our yummy Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal we made?  Jessna and I can't get enough of that one.

We also read a few books:



What fun things would you do with the color blue?

1 comment:

Alison said...

What a cool idea!!