Tuesday, January 10, 2012

What's Cooking? Sweet Potato Bread (Gift for teachers)

Kindergarten: for Teachers and Parents

  

Recently I was hanging out at Susan Case's blog (who wrote Kindergarten: Tattle-Tales, Tools, Tactics, Triumphs and Tasty Treats for Teachers and Parents, which I recently reviewed and highly recommend!) and I found this yummy pumpkin bread recipe.  Well, I don't have pumpkin, but I have lots of sweet potato puree so I tweaked the recipe a bit and came up with this Sweet Potato Bread that is just perfect for giving to teachers.  I also just acquired this wonderful bread pan with room for 12 loaves of bread.  However, this recipe can be made into 24 muffins or 4 regular loaves of bread.




Sweet Potato Bread: (Susan's recipe uses pumpkin)

Dry ingredients-
3 1/2 cups flour 
1/2 teaspoon baking powder 
2 teaspoons soda 
1 1/2 teaspoons salt 
1 teaspoon cinnamon 
1/2 teaspoon cloves 
pinch of nutmeg 

Wet ingredients-
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup applesauce (I used pear sauce) 
2/3 cups vegetable oil 
4 eggs 
2 cups sweet potato puree
  
1 cup chopped pecans (optional) 
½ cup raisins or chocolate chips




Combine dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients. Bake 350° for 35-40 minutes in greased and floured pans. Yield: 4 medium loaves or makes 24 muffins. Bread will be very moist if you let it sit for a few days. 



Shrade and I really love his teachers at church so we decided to make these and give them to our special teachers!  Shrade was so cute when he gave them the bread and said "Thank you."  I'm trying to develop a thankful spirit in my little guy.  He had fun making the bread with me and also delivering it in person.


2 comments:

Victoria said...

What a wonderful idea! Where on earth did you find that awesome mini loaves pan?

Susan Case said...

You are so kind! Thank you. What a sweet picture. I love sweet potatoes.